Via Steve Rubel a great post from the folks at Lifehacker, offering a sound guide to weblog comments. While I'm not a regular commenter, I almost always read the comments of others, often finding as much insight in the comments as in the post. That being said, I think the best comments read like they were formed straight from this list.
- Stay on topic
- Contribute new information to the discussion
- Don't comment for the sake of commenting
- Know when to comment and when to e-mail
- Remember that nobody likes a know-it-all
- Make the tone of your message clear
- Own your comment
- Be succinct
- Cite your sources with links or inline quoting
- Be courteous
- Don't post when you're angry, upset, drunk or emotional
- Do not feed or tease the trolls
Sound advice, particularly the bit about the trolls.